Although your automobile accident lawyer will take the lead on your case, this relationship isn’t meant to be completely one-sided. We want to hear from you and answer any questions you might have to help clear up misconceptions or put your mind at ease about the process. However, if you’ve never been in an automobile accident that involved compensation before, you may not know what type of questions to ask your lawyer. In today’s blog, we highlight five common questions we hear from clients and questions that we think may be helpful to ask your lawyer if you have been involved in a car accident.
Questions To Ask Your Auto Accident Lawyer
Here’s a look at some questions that you may find helpful to ask during the process of selecting a law firm and pursuing a car accident claim:
1. Have You Handled Cases Like Mine Before? – If you are involved in a standard rear-end collision at a stop light, odds are your lawyer will have plenty of experience winning these types of cases. Conversely, if you were injured by a semi driver who fell asleep at the wheel as a result of logging too many hours on the road, or you were struck by a texting or drunk driver, you’re going to want to make sure that your lawyer has handled similar situations and earned compensation for their clients. Don’t be afraid to ask about their previous experience with similar cases.
2. What Do You Need From Me? – This is one that we love to hear from our clients because it tells us a couple of things. First, it lets us know that they want to be involved in the process and should be helpful in providing any information that we need at a later date. Clients that ask this question also tend to be effective communicators who respond to our texts and calls in a timely manner, which we love.
3. What Types Of Damages Can I Collect? – Asking about the types of compensation that you’re eligible to receive can help to put your mind at ease from a financial standpoint. You’re probably aware that you can collect compensation for medical expenses and property damage, but your lawyer can also explain how you may be eligible to collect compensation for things like lost wages, pain and suffering and more. Your lawyer will ensure that you’re aware of all the types of compensation you’re eligible to receive.
4. How Should I Handle The Insurance Company? – Odds are you’re going to have to talk to your insurance company at some point, and you want to be mindful about approaching this conversation in the right manner. Minnesota is a No Fault state, which means that you’ll typically work with your insurance company, but this doesn’t mean that the insurance company is your friend. If you give them any information that could hurt your case, you could severely limit the amount of compensation you receive. It pays to have a conversation with your lawyer about how you should handle any conversations with an insurance agent.
5. How Much Will This Cost? – You’ll also want to make sure that you understand your lawyer’s fee schedule or rate. Many people are hesitant to hire a lawyer because they assume it will just be another bill to pay, but know that injury firms work on what’s known as a contingency fee basis. This means that the lawyer will only take a small percentage of your winnings in the event they help you secure compensation. If you don’t earn an award, you won’t owe compensation to your lawyer. Oftentimes hiring a lawyer after an automobile accident more than pays for itself because a lawyer can help you secure a much larger award than you’d be able to achieve on your own.
If you ask these questions and connect with an experienced lawyer like Dean and the team at Margolis Law Firm, we’re confident that you’ll be in a good position to earn compensation for your automobile accident. For more information, or for help with a different type of injury case, reach out to our team today at (952) 230-2700.