The summer is a popular time to hit the road, and with higher speeds and more traffic, it should come as no surprise that it’s also peak accident season. It’s also a time when more motorcycle riders are hitting the road in Minnesota while driving conditions are ideal, which means it’s also a very dangerous time to be on a vehicle with limited protection. Motorcycle accidents often involve serious injuries, and while your health is the number one goal, it’s also important that you are fairly compensated for your injuries. In today’s blog, we showcase how you can strengthen your case to ensure you get the biggest payday possible following a motorcycle accident.
Tips After A Motorcycle Accident
Here are some things you can do to strengthen your injury claim in the wake of a motorcycle accident:
1. Helmet Cam Footage – Video recording of the accident can be a gamechanger when it comes to proving who was at fault for the accident and what actually transpired when it’s your word versus someone else’s. Go Pros and other helmet recording options have become more popular as the technology becomes more affordable, so we definitely recommend investing in a recording device if you’re a frequent rider. Do it now before an accident so you have the evidence when you need it. These cameras often pay for themselves many times over in the wake of an accident. Think of it as a very cheap insurance policy.
2. A Lawyer – Speaking of things that can pay for themselves many times over, a lawyer is arguably the single best way you can strengthen your case following a motorcycle accident. Knowing the evidence is part of the equation, but being able to present it and make a strong pitch to the judge may be even more important, and the best way to do that is with a car accident lawyer. When tens of thousands of dollars or more are on the line, you want a professional in your corner to counter the lawyers for the other side. We only take a small percentage of your winnings, so are interests are totally aligned in that we benefit by getting you the biggest payday possible.
3. Expert Witnesses – Witnesses are great in that they can confirm your version of events, but your standard witness can be unreliable. What is more concrete is testimony from an expert. We’ve consulted with accident reconstruction experts and manufacturing experts who can explain, based on the visual evidence or motorcycle’s design, exactly what factors contributed to the accident. Experts can tell if the skid marks on the road suggest a driver was speeding or if a design flaw in the brake pads inhibited your stopping ability, and all of this can help to strengthen your version of what happened.
4. Official Medical Reports – If you suffered significant injuries, odds are you went to a medical center for an evaluation and treatment. These official reports from doctors can showcase the true extent of your injuries. Instead of just saying that you have neck and back pain, these reports can show that you’re suffering from whiplash and a herniated disc, and official medical conditions play better when it comes to a payout than a simple description of pain.
5. Journal – Finally, one thing that we tell most of our clients who have been in a traffic accident is that they begin an accident journal. Writing down the details of the accident when they are fresh in your mind ensures that you don’t forget them. You can also write about conversations you had regarding your accident and who you spoke with on certain dates. The more details you have about anything related to your accident, the more airtight your case will become. Writing down anything related to your accident can really help to strengthen your case, because these things take time.
For more tips, or for help with your motorcycle injury claim, contact Dean Margolis and his team at Margolis Law Firm today.
- Tips For Writing A Demand Letter In Minnesota - November 28, 2023
- Does My Employer Have To Hold My Job For Me After A Work Injury? - November 21, 2023
- Does Workers’ Compensation Cover Emergency Room Visits In Minnesota? - November 17, 2023