Riding a motorcycle on an open road is an indescribable feeling, but the freeing nature of the vehicle also exposes riders to injuries. There are more than 4,500 fatalities and 100,000 injuries every year, and many of these accidents are the result of preventable circumstances. If you were injured by a drunk, distracted or reckless driver, you may be able to get compensation for your injuries.
If you’re looking for the right lawyer for your situation, you’ll want to ask the right questions during your initial consultation. If your lawyer can look you in the eye and strongly answer these five questions, they are probably a good fit for your motorcycle injury case. Here’s what questions you’ll want to ask.
Picking Out A Motorcycle Accident Injury Lawyer
These five questions can give you a good idea if the lawyer is the right fit for your situation.
1. Have You Handled Similar Cases?
When you ask this question, make sure they answer in specifics. Most injury law firms have handled motorcycle injury cases, but if yours involved a texting driver or a wrong way driver, ask about their experience with this type of accident liability. Although every case is different, you want someone who is familiar with similar types of cases.
2. What’s Your Trial Experience In These Cases?
A lot of cases end up getting settled before trial, but not all of them. In the event your case heads to trial, you’ll want peace of mind knowing that your lawyer has experience taking this type of case before a judge. Ask about their trial experience regarding motorcycle accident cases.
3. How Do You See My Case Playing Out? – Now, don’t expect them to be able to lay out the entire case after hearing about your story for 10 minutes, but they should be able to give you a good idea of what you can expect. If there’s clear evidence, they may talk about maximizing your award and avoiding low settlement offers. If you’re getting pushback from your employer, they’ll talk about strengthening your case and preparing for trial. They may not have a blueprint for exactly what to expect, but they should have a good idea about the direction of your case and some likely outcomes.
4. How Can I Get In Touch With You If I Have Questions?
Another good question to ask is how you can get in contact with the attorney if you have questions. Should you just call the main office, or do they have a direct line? For after hours questions, is email best, or can you send them a text? You’ll be surprised at how many questions will come up along the way, and you’ll want to be able to reliably get in touch with your lawyer when you need to, so ask about communication plans.
5. What Is The Fee Structure?
Finally, you’re going to want to ask about the cost of services. Each firm is different, but you’ll want to get a clear understanding of how you’ll be billed or what portion of the settlement your lawyer will receive. This way there are no surprises down the road. We are always up front and honest about our fee structure so there are no misundertandings later in the case.
Dean and his team at Margolis Law Firm will be happy to answer these questions and any others you may have about your case. For more information, or to talk to them about your injury case, click here or give them a call today at (952) 230-2700.
- What Happens If I Was Injured Off Company Property? - July 6, 2022
- Getting Workers’ Compensation For Only Medical Expenses - June 28, 2022
- How To Respond To A Low Settlement Offer - June 24, 2022