If you were injured by someone else or as a result of negligence, you might think you have a pretty clear path towards an injury award. However, looks can be deceiving, and all it takes is one missed deadline or one small mistake to tank your case. In today’s blog, we share five reasons why you should hire a personal injury lawyer to assist your with your injury case.
What A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Do That You Can’t
The main reason that people consider going forward without an injury lawyer is because they believe it will save them money. Yes, you won’t have to pay a percentage of your award to your injury lawyer, but as we explained in this blog, hiring a lawyer almost always saves you money in the long run by helping you secure an award or a larger award than you would have been able to achieve on your own. But getting you more money is just one reason why you should hire a personal injury lawyer. Here’s a look at five things they can do that you can’t or may struggle with:
1. What You Need To Prove – You need to prove more than just the fact that you were injured due in part to someone else. You’re going to need to prove why they are at fault, how their actions contributed to your injury, if proper safety measures were violated and a host of other factors that go into your case. Your lawyer will know what to prove and how to prove them, while you may miss some areas that could strengthen your case.
2. What A Fair Settlement Offer Looks Like – There’s more that goes into a settlement offer than a number. You have to determine your chance of winning, how much compensation you need for injuries, pain and hospital bills, and the extent of the other party’s liability. A lawyer will know if you’re getting a fair offer, but you probably won’t.
3. Hit The Deadlines – Do you know when a FROI needs to be filed, or how long you have to visit a doctor and get a medical evaluation? You’re going to be focused on getting healthy, so it’s easy to see how a deadline can slip through the cracks. Your lawyer, who is solely focused on your case, won’t miss any important deadlines.
4. Talk With The Opposition – A lawyer is a great person to have in your corner because they can do all the communicating with the other side. If you’re talking with the insurance company, one mistake of fact or slip of the tongue can lead to the termination of your award. Don’t let someone from the other side get the best of you, let a lawyer handle all communication between the parties.
5. Collect Expert Testimony – You might be the best person to talk about your injury, but you might not be the best at reconstructing the accident scene or explaining exactly what caused a product to be defective. Your lawyer has connections to expert witnesses who can provide credibility to your argument that you may be unable to clearly explain on your own.
As you can see, hiring a lawyer is very important when an injury case is hanging in the balance. Let Dean and his team go to bat for you. Contact Margolis Law Firm today to learn more about what we can do for you following an injury.
- The Basics Of A Notice Of Insurer’s Primary Liability Determination - March 21, 2023
- Luck Won’t Decide Your Injury Claim – These Five Factors Will - March 15, 2023
- What Happens To My Work Comp Claim If My Company Closes? - March 8, 2023