You’ve suffered an injury at work and you’ve reported it to your superiors, but what should your next move be? Grab your cell phone, because you have some calls to make. Today, we tell you what five calls you should make after you’ve suffered an injury at work.
Who To Call After A Minnesota Work Injury
Here’s a look at five calls you should make in the wake of a work injury.
1. Lawyer – One of your first calls should be to a workers’ compensation lawyer. They can get the ball rolling on your claim, and they can help explain which steps you should take next. They can also recommend some doctors to call if you are looking to set up your independent medical evaluation.
2. Doctor – Depending on the nature of your injury, you might not have to make this call right away. If you need immediate medical attention, skip this call and head into an emergency room. Once you receive care for your immediate needs, you should talk to your lawyer who will likely explain that you’ll need an independent medical evaluation in the near future. This will help the insurance company gauge your degree of disability and when or how you will be able to transition back into the workforce. It’s a good idea to talk to your lawyer before setting this up.
3. Your Boss – Once you’ve received a medical diagnosis, it doesn’t hurt to give your company a call and let them know some generalities about how you’re doing. You do not necessarily need to make this call and you can let your lawyer do the work for you, but a lot of people understand the importance of keeping management in the loop, and your employer would probably appreciate an update on your well-being.
4. Your Non-Work-Related Obligations – An injury at work isn’t just going to affect you on the job, it’s also going to have repercussions in your home life. Call a friend and see if they can give your kids a ride to school for the next couple of weeks, see if a family member is willing to go grocery shopping or give you a ride to your appointments, reschedule that dentist’s appointment, etc. Think of where you’ll need help outside of work because of your injury, and make some calls to cover all your bases.
5. Your Lawyer, Again – Finally, you’ll want to circle back with your lawyer to provide them an update on your situation and to learn what you should expect in the future. Odds are they’ll want you to do a couple of things or sign some documents, and they’ll explain what they are going to do on their end to get you the compensation you deserve. At the end of this conversation, you should have a better understanding of the workers’ compensation process, and what is expected of you (as well as what you should expect of your lawyer) in the coming days and weeks.
So if you are looking for a lawyer to call after a work injury in Minnesota, reach out to the experienced lawyers at Margolis Law Firm at (952) 230-2700.
- 4 Smart Ways To Use Your Smartphone After A Car Accident - December 7, 2023
- Tips For Writing A Demand Letter In Minnesota - November 28, 2023
- Does My Employer Have To Hold My Job For Me After A Work Injury? - November 21, 2023