If you’ve been injured in an automobile accident or as a result of someone else’s actions, you may be able to collect compensation in the form of a personal injury suit. One issue that many people run into when considering a personal injury lawsuit is that they don’t know where to turn for assistance with their case, so oftentimes they just pick one of the first law firms they run into during a Google search.
If you really want to maximize your award amount, you’re going to want to be a little more selective about who you choose to handle your injury case. In today’s blog, we take a look at three types of injury lawyers and law firms you should avoid if you want to protect your interests and have the best chance at earning a sizable payout for your injuries.
Personal Injury Lawyer Red Flags
In your quest to find the best injury lawyer for your case, keep an eye out for these three types of lawyers. You’ll be wise to steer clear of them.
1. The Money Up Front Lawyer – Most injury law firms offer free initial consultations or require a very nominal fee to get everything rolling with your case. That’s because they understand that money could be tight, especially if medical bills are piling up. Injury cases tend to be structured such that a lawyer ends up taking a small percentage of your total award, which usually works out well for the client because the more money the lawyer earns for their client, the more money the lawyer takes home themselves. However, there are some lawyers that will try to get larger sums of money up front or charge larger fees for initial consultations. A good lawyer knows their worth and understands your financial situation after an injury, so they won’t add to your financial stress by making you pay a bunch on the front end.
2. The Overstretched Lawyer – At Margolis Law Office, we handle personal injury cases and workers’ compensation cases. This means we’re always handling a type of injury case, and it gives us countless opportunities to expand our knowledge of injury law and see which avenues prove to be most fruitful for our clients. There are also law firms that handle personal injury cases, business litigation, criminal defense and family law. Would you rather have a law firm that’s always working on injury cases, or one that is defending a drunk driver in the morning, a divorce in the afternoon and then your injury case? Look for a law firm that specializes in injury law instead of a firm that tries to handle a bunch of different types of law. It matters that your lawyer has a deep knowledge of the injury industry, not a wide breadth of law in general.
3. The Tough To Get A Hold Of Lawyer – Your lawyer needs to be an effective communicator in order to put forth the best case for your injury claim, and their ability to stay in contact with their clients can be indicative of their ability to be an effective communicator. If it’s like pulling teeth to get in for a free case review, or they don’t call you back when they say they will, look elsewhere. Remember, you are hiring them, and they work for you. They should honor your requests and get back to you in a timely manner. If they don’t, take your business elsewhere to someone who respects your time.
At Margolis Law Firm, we pride ourselves on being strictly an injury law firm that works hard to get our clients the largest award possible while keeping them in the loop every step of the way. If that sounds like something you want in an injury lawyer, reach out to Dean and his experienced team today for more information.
- How We Go The Extra Mile For Our Clients - December 1, 2021
- Five Exemptions To Workers’ Compensation Claims In Minnesota - November 24, 2021
- 4 Steps To Take If You’ve Been Involved In A Hit And Run - November 17, 2021